Thursday, 27 March 2014

Being tall and caravans

Hello and a happy Thursday to you!

We have been busy with our Globetrotter, we may have even gotten closer to a name for her courtesy of my lovely niece Esme!  "CARLY THE CARAVAN"  Thank you Esme I rather like Carly.

We began putting the furniture back in last weekend and my was I a giddy kipper,!  At last, DB and I sat on (or slumped on) the sofa after a hard weekends graft with cheesy grins on our faces and with a whopping sense of achievement! By eck it does feel good to have eventually got this far, anybody who is or has attempted the same project will know exactly what I am talking about!

So, this week I have mostly been....



Sanding and painting! Yipee!

Some of the original furniture is very dark or damaged and really rather ugly so I have painted some of it white.  I am playing around with the rest as I am quite liking a bit of a miss match of painted and "reclaimed" looking wood.

I also did this to the door!

I am loving this wallpaper! It has so many colours in it, which can only mean one thing,  I can play with fabrics till my heart is content! 

What is that yellow thing at the top?  Did you notice? That brings me to the title of this post.....


  When this little caravan was built, and most others around the 1960's and 70's folk were generally a wee bit smaller don't you think?  My husband is 6 foot tall and he can only stand upright right in the centre of the caravan and being a man of shaved head he has not much protection up top (ahem) so he quite often has the misfortune of getting a nasty graze or worse on the top of his head when stepping in and out (especially out) 
 I am quite sure many of you fellow caravaners will know what I am talking about?  Well anyway, the previous owner must have had the same problem and I don't know if you can buy something like this ready made or if it was a clever DIY  "head softener"?   I think I like DB not grumpy and not with a sore head so this excellent device is definitely staying!

  As you have to seize every opportunity to use vintage fabric when you can  this is what I did and I am sure you could knock one up with a wooden dowel and some wadding!  Here goes;

Obviously I had to remove it from its original home which was simply screwed from the outside in and it came off for a scrub!




A selection of fabrics narrowed down


I am a fan of spray adhesive, no particular brand, I find it useful for all sorts of stuff!  Even sticking the insulation to the roof before the boards went on!  A good craft staple I say.




Two screws back in through the outside, making sure you don't alter the door closing properly so you may have to fiddle about a bit but there you have it, a softer landing for DB's head.

Have a great weekend, how are  your projects coming along?

Sharon xx




3 comments:

  1. That wallpaper is absolutely stunning! How sweet of you looking after DB too- it's a hard life being so tall! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow it's coming on a treat ! Love the birdie wallpaper it's so fresh and airy. Look forward to seeing it completed x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just love that wallpaper - I am sure I have seen it somewhere. My dad was always the one with a cut on his head from the caravan - usually from the overhead cupboards! Where do you plane to go in it when finished?

    ReplyDelete

Hiya would love to hear what you have to say It will make my day ! xx